Bible Text: Romans 1:21-32; 3:17-24
The greatest thing in the world is to be able to think and know God's way. We put much emphasis on our earthly existence: food, clothing, homes, etc. But still the greatest thing is to know salvation according to God's Word. It is a priceless possession. The ABC's of salvation.
I. All have sinned and come short of the glory of God. (Romans 3:23)
A. The story of man's first sin is found in Genesis 3:1-7.
1. The serpent (Satan) said, "Yea hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?" - A doubt instituted.
2. God said, "Ye shall not eat of it" (verse 3). The woman added, "neither shall ye touch it."
3. The desire to be like God prompted the woman to partake and sin in disobedience to God.
B. What is sin?
1. A setting aside of God by His creatures and taking unto themselves His place.
a. To depend on self and refuse to depend on God.
b. This is the spirit of man. I will live my way instead of God's way.
2. Romans 1:21-22 declares this position.
a. When they knew God, they glorified Him not.
b. But profess themselves to be wise.
3. Romans 14:23. "Whatsoever is not of faith is sin." Faith is dependence on God.
4. Sin is against God. Psalm 51:4 - against thee.
C. Man is sinner by nature.
1. Romans 5:12 - "by one man sin entered the world." (Galatians 6:7-8)
2. Therefore "all have sinned." Romans 3:23 (Sin is like measles - red spots.)
D. There are five results of sin.
1. Loss of fellowship with God. (Genesis 3:24; Ephesians 4:18)
2. Condemnation of God. God holds us accountable. (John 3:18 - "condemned")
3. Earthly unhappiness. (Lamentations 5:16-17)
4. Death. (Romans 6:23 - eternal separation from God)
5. Eternal punishment. (Matthew 25:14-26; Luke 16)
II. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved and thy house. (Acts 16:31)
A. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. (Romans 3:22)
1. Philippian jailer - "What must I do to be saved?"
2. Jesus Christ is the only object of belief - not baptistm, church, Mary, or the saints, but Jesus only. (Acts 4:12; John 14:6)
B. "Believe" is personal.
1. You cannot believe except ye repent and turn from sin.
2. It cannot be done by another. (Ezekial 18:20)
C. "Believe" means salvation - immediately.
1. Paul - Damascus Road. (Acts 9; John 5:24)
2. Ethiopian eunuch - in chariot. (Acts 8)
3. Thief - on the cross. (Luke 23:43)
D. "Believe" results in the new birth.
1. Real repentence results in real Christians. (2 Corinthians 5:17)
2. "Being born again - a new creature in Christ." (John 3:7)
III. Confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus. (Romans 10:9-10)
"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth
the Lord Jesus, and shalt
believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt
be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with
the mouth confession is made unto salvation. "